Android security testing is more often used by security industries to test the vulnerabilities in Android applications. Here you can find the Comprehensive Android Penetration testing tools and resource list that covers Performing Penetration testing Operation in Android Mobiles.
- Visual Threat
- Mobile Malware Sandbox
- Appknox – not free
- IBM Security AppScan Mobile Analyzer – not free
- NVISO ApkScan
- AVC UnDroid
- habo 10/day
- Virustotal-max 128MB
- Fraunhofer App-ray – not free
- AppCritique – Upload your Android APKs and receive comprehensive free security assessments.
- NowSecure Lab Automated – Enterprise tool for mobile app security testing both Android and iOS mobile apps. Lab Automated features dynamic and static analysis on real devices in the cloud to return results in minutes. Not free
Static Analysis Tools
- Androwarn – detect and warn the user about potential malicious behaviors developed by an Android application.
- Droid Intent Data Flow Analysis for Information Leakage
- Several tools from PSU
- Smali CFG generator
- Android Decompiler – not free
- PSCout – A tool that extracts the permission specification from the Android OS source code using static analysis
- SmaliSCA – Smali Static Code Analysis
- CFGScanDroid – Scans and compares CFG against CFG of malicious applications
- Madrolyzer – extracts actionable data like C&C, phone number etc.
- SPARTA – verifies (proves) that an app satisfies an information-flow security policy; built on the Checker Framework
- ConDroid – Performs a combination of symbolic + concrete execution of the app
- RiskInDroid – A tool for calculating the risk of Android apps based on their permissions, with an online demo available.
- SUPER – Secure, Unified, Powerful and Extensible Rust Android Analyzer
- ClassyShark – Standalone binary inspection tool which can browse any Android executable and show important info.
Android SecurityApp Vulnerability Scanners
- QARK – QARK by LinkedIn is for app developers to scan app for security issues
- Devknox – Autocorrect Android Security issues as if it was spell check from your IDE
- JAADAS – Joint intraprocedural and inter-procedure program analysis tool to find vulnerabilities in Android apps, built on Soot and Scala
Dynamic Analysis Tools
- Android DBI framework
- Androl4b– A Virtual Machine For Assessing Android applications, Reverse Engineering and Malware Analysis
- Android Malware Analysis Toolkit – (Linux distro) Earlier it use to be an online analyzer
- Mobile-Security-Framework MobSF – Mobile Security Framework is an intelligent, all-in-one open source mobile application (Android/iOS) automated pen-testing framework capable of performing static, dynamic analysis and web API testing.
- AppUse – custom build for pentesting
- Cobradroid – custom image for malware analysis
- Xposed – equivalent of doing Stub based code injection but without any modifications to the binary
- Inspeckage – Android Package Inspector – dynamic analysis with api hooks, start unexported activities and more. (Xposed Module)
- Android Hooker – Dynamic Java code instrumentation (requires the Substrate Framework)
- ProbeDroid – Dynamic Java code instrumentation
- Android Tamer – Virtual / Live Platform for Android Security Professionals
- DECAF – Dynamic Executable Code Analysis Framework based on QEMU (DroidScope is now an extension to DECAF)
- CuckooDroid – Android extension for Cuckoo sandbox
- Mem – Memory analysis of Android Security (root required)
- Crowdroid – unable to find the actual tool
- AuditdAndroid – android port of auditd, not under active development anymore
- AndroidSecurity Evaluation Framework – not under active development anymore
- Android Reverse Engineering – ARE (android reverse engineering) not under active development anymore
- Aurasium – Practical security policy enforcement for Android apps via bytecode rewriting and in-place reference monitor.
- Android Linux Kernel modules
- Appie – Appie is a software package that has been pre-configured to function as an Android Pentesting Environment.It is completely portable and can be carried on USB stick or smartphone.This is a one-stop answer for all the tools needed in Android Application Security Assessment and an awesome alternative to existing virtual machines.
- StaDynA – a system supporting security app analysis in the presence of dynamic code update features (dynamic class loading and reflection). This tool combines static and dynamic analysis of Android applications in order to reveal the hidden/updated behavior and extend static analysis results with this information.
- DroidAnalytics – incomplete
- Vezir Project – Virtual Machine for Mobile Application Pentesting and Mobile Malware Analysis
- MARA – Mobile Application Reverse engineering and Analysis Framework
- Taintdroid – requires AOSP compilation
- Smali/Baksmali – apk decompilation
- emacs syntax coloring for smali files
- vim syntax coloring for smali files
- Androguard – powerful, integrates well with other tools
- Apktool – really useful for compilation/decompilation (uses smali)
- Android Framework for Exploitation
- Bypass signature and permission checks for IPCs
- Android OpenDebug – make any application on device debuggable (using cydia substrate).
- Dare – .dex to .class converter
- Dex2Jar – dex to jar converter
- Enjarify – dex to jar converter from Google
- Indroid – thread injection kit
- Jad – Java decompiler
- JD-GUI – Java decompiler
- CFR – Java decompiler
- Krakatau – Java decompiler
- Procyon – Java decompiler
- FernFlower – Java decompiler
- Redexer – apk manipulation
- Smali viewer
Simplify Android deobfuscator
- Bytecode viewer
- Radamsa Fuzzer
- An Android port of the melkor ELF fuzzer
- Media Fuzzing Framework for Android
App Repackaging Detectors
- FSquaDRA – a Android Security tool for detection of repackaged Android applications based on app resources hash comparison.
- Google play crawler (Java)
- Google play crawler (Python)
- Google play crawler (Node) – get app details and download apps from official Google Play Store.
- Aptoide downloader (Node) – download apps from Aptoide third-party Android market
- Appland downloader (Node) – download apps from Appland third-party Android market
- AXMLPrinter2 – to convert binary XML files to human-readable XML files
- adb autocomplete
- Dalvik opcodes
- Opcodes table for quick reference
- ExploitMe Android Labs – for practice
- GoatDroid – for practice
- Android Vulnerability Test Suite – android-vts scans a device for set of vulnerabilities
- AppMon– AppMon is an automated framework for monitoring and tampering system API calls of native macOS, iOS and android apps. It is based on Frida.
- OWASP Mobile Security Testing Guide Manual
- Android Reverse Engineering 101 by Daniele Altomare
- android app security checklist
- Mobile App Pentest Cheat Sheet
- AndroidSecurity Bulletins
- Android’s reported security vulnerabilities
- Android Devices Security Patch Status
- AOSP – Issue tracker
- OWASP Mobile Top 10 2016
- Exploit Database – click search
- Vulnerability Google Doc
- Google AndroidSecurity Team’s Classifications for Potentially Harmful Applications (Malware)
- androguard – Database Android Malwares wiki
- Android Malware Github repo
- Android Malware Genome Project – contains 1260 malware samples categorized into 49 different malware families, free for research purpose.
- Contagio Mobile Malware Mini Dump
- VirusTotal Malware Intelligence Service – powered by VirusTotal, not free
How to report
- Android – reporting security issues
- Android Reports and Resources – List of Android Hackerone disclosed reports and other resources